ebook - DNS administration

The SliceManager DNS panel allows for powerful management of your domains' DNS records with the easy to use interface.

Learn how to add DNS zones and configure individual A, CNAME and MX records along with much more.

Latest Version

Any changes to the DNS administration process will be shown in the latest ebook version:

DNS Administration - v1.0.2.pdf

Please see below for a changelog between versions.

Changelog

v1.0.2 - August 2012

Changed master nameserver references

v1.0.1 - April 2008

Fixed a broken link

v1.0 - April 2008

Initial ebook release

katy lavallee commented Fri Apr 18 15:42:24 UTC 2008:

I'm accustomed to having more than one domain point to my server's IP and being able to assign A record subdomains by domain + IP.

It seems with Slicehost I would have to use CNAME records for subdomains if I have more than one domain pointing to one slice's IP. Is this correct?

PickledOnion commented Fri Apr 18 17:59:42 UTC 2008:

Hi Katy,

I must admit I don't understand your question.

You can have as many A records and as many zones as you want pointing to your Slice IP - I am not sure why you would think you can't?

Can you clarify what you mean?

katy lavallee commented Fri Apr 18 22:20:25 UTC 2008:

In the screenshot where you are setting up a subdomain, there's no place to enter the domain which the subdomain applies to. There's only a place for subdomain and IP. So, I assumed you could only set it up for one domain. If you have multiple domains, how would you specify which domain the subdomain applies to?

PickledOnion commented Fri Apr 18 22:29:15 UTC 2008:

Hi Katy,

Each domain has a DNS zone (see page 4 - creating a DNS zone).

Once a DNS zone has been created it is for that domain name only. So you can add the subdomain 'www' or 'blog' and it is for the DNS zone (i.e. for that domain) only.

Adding a second domain would require a second DNS zone to be created. Any DNS records in that DNS zone would relate to that zone (domain) only.

Adding a third domain requires a third zone, etc.

So each DNS zone can have 'www' defined and all pointing to the same IP address (your Slice) but each 'www' relates to that zone (i.e. that domain name) only.

I hope that helps but the basic premise is that a DNS zone has the records for a single domain - it holds the DNS records for that domain only.

Jeff O'Hara commented Fri Jun 20 03:34:32 UTC 2008:

You may want to update the domain e-book and switch domain.com to example.com as stated in RFC 2606. See http://example.com for a link to rfc 2606. You shouldn't use other people's domains in documentation, that is what example.com is reserved for.

Just my 2 cents :)

Eric Marden commented Tue May 05 18:55:46 UTC 2009:

I agree 100% with Jeff O'Hara. Use example.com (or at least domain.tld) to illustrate your points, not a domain name that is active and owned by someone.

Omer K commented Tue May 19 08:30:34 UTC 2009:

Two basic questions. especially wrto the slice manager dns panel.

1- abc.com abc.org

do i need 2 different zone files or can i simply add abc.org as a CNAME under abc.com zone ?

2- can i simply have a single A record such as *.domain.com instead of listing www, mail, blog etc if they are all on the same IP ?

incolo real estate commented Wed Aug 19 22:56:38 UTC 2009:

to setup slice host with google apps for your domain follow these instructions:

if you want to have google mail be your main mail system follow these:

Yang commented Thu Sep 03 01:50:28 UTC 2009:

@Omer K,

1 - I believe you need 2 different zones for them. 2 - Of course. That way you can just identify the subdomain by the name based virtual host of Apache.

Shree - India commented Sat Mar 27 13:10:09 UTC 2010:

@Omer K, Regarding single A record. If you do it that way, any prefix will take you to primary domain. www.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com or blog.yourdomain.com won't make any difference.

Avin commented Fri Nov 18 06:17:04 UTC 2011:

I have configured DNS record using slicehost DNS management tool. Which is really easy to manage records in Slicehost DNS manager.

But I am facing following issue: 1) My some website(sub-domain) which I not access regularly fail to resolve when I try to access in a some days.

2) Is this because I haven't access it daily .

3) Any setting remaining in Slicehost DNS session to keep site alive forever

4) Any tool can I use to keep my site alive.

My Web Server Details: Apache2 Passenger Module

Mustafa Ozer commented Wed Feb 29 12:22:21 UTC 2012:

Could anyone help me to understand if it is possible to configure URL redirecting (domain forwarding) using Slicehost DNS? I would like to forward my naked domain to subdomain ie. domain.com --> www.domain.com

I think CNAME record does not serve this requirement!

Best regards